Scenic railways booking fall foliage tours
If you’re one of those avid travelers who’s overdue for a train ride, now is the time to book a fall foliage tour on the many scenic railroads offering special autumn excursions.
One option is no further away than north central Georgia. The Blue Ridge Scenic Railway makes trips through the Chattahoochee National Forest to McCaysville, GA, and Copperhill, TN. The four-hour excursion aboard vintage passenger cars is 26 miles round trip and follows the Toccoa River through the North Georgia countryside.
Tickets are available now for summer trips through Sept. 20, followed by the fall foliage tours that can be booked from Sept. 24 to Nov. 8. The BRSR is located at 241 Depot St., Blue Ridge, GA. The number for more information is (877) 413-8724. The website is brscenic.com.
The Blue Ridge excursion made the top 10 best fall foliage rides as complied by Country Living magazine Visit countryliving.com. Other notables on the magazine's list are:
• Durbin & Greenbrier Valley Railroad, Elkins, WV www.mountainrail.com
• Essex Steam Train, Essex, CT essexsteamtrain.com
• Colebrookdale Railroad, Boyertown, PA www.colebrookdalerailroad.com
• Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad, Antonito, CO cumbrestoltec.com
• Green Mountain Railroad, Chester, VT www.rails-vt.com